Victoria has entered a “short, sharp” lockdown that will last for five days from 11.59pm on Friday.
1. You must stay within 5km of your home other than for permitted work
2. Masks are mandatory everywhere in Victoria
3. No visitors to anyone’s home
4. Public gatherings not permitted at all
5. Schools will close but will remain open for vulnerable children or children of essential workers
6. Religious gatherings and ceremonies are not permitted.
7. Funerals can involve no more than 10 people.
8. Hospitality will move to take away only
9. Child care and early childhood centres will remain open.
Will people be fined?
Yes, people can be fined for breaching COVID-19 restrictions. Victoria Police can issue on-the-spot fines of up to $1,652 for individuals and up to $9,913 for businesses.
“If people don’t follow the rules, then that will be a selfish thing to do. I hope it doesn’t come to that,” Mr Andrews said.
“But Victoria Police will be there for anybody who thinks that they’ve got the right to not follow these rules.”